Ayuso’s position was clear from the beginning

Ayuso’s position was clear from the beginning. She didn’t want to cut rates. That meant a new expense, and quite important, since if it was approved, the regional government had to reward the six public universities, economically drowned, for the money that the families were going to stop paying. But it has been useless. It’s time to abide

In Tuesday’s announcement by the president of Madrid there was also a fundamental inaccuracy. He was talking about a 30% drop in “master’s degrees”, when in reality only the rates of qualifying degrees will be reduced, not of master’s degrees in general, and those are a minority of postgraduate courses (around 8% ), those that are compulsory to practice as a lawyer, psychologist, certain engineering positions or secondary school teacher. The headline of the press release of the Community of Madrid and the summary also hide this information.

Public scholarships in private centers in Madrid for families earning more than 100,000 euros
But this tug-of-war is not new. Despite her opposition in the offices, it is not the first time that Ayuso publicly celebrates being a champion of the rate cut.

She also did so in her second investiture, now without Ciudadanos at the head of the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities: “We will work so that no student from Madrid can be deprived of higher studies due to lack of financial resources. For this reason, this Government is going to reduce public prices…”. The announcement, once again, hid his discrepancy with the measure and caused Manuel Castells, then Minister of Universities, to respond indignantly to the president in public: “I absolutely do not care who gets the medals or who takes credit, what What matters to me is that students pay less. What they have been paying for is a scandal.”

The road to get to this point has been full of negatives. In May 2020, Castilla y León, Andalucía, Madrid and Murcia, all governed by the PP, voted first against lowering the degree fees, that is, those that students pay when they enroll in a career, and abstained Galicia, where Alberto Núñez Feijóo was then president, now leader of the PP, since it had one of the lowest rates in Spain. Almost a year later, in March 2021, the CGPU scissored the prices of qualifying master’s degrees, much more expensive than the degree. And this was the moment when Madrid was left alone, since it was the only one of the communities that voted against.

The autonomies now have until the next course to collect the 2011 fees again, the year in which the then Minister of Education, José Ignacio Wert, forced the regional governments to make families pay between 15% and 25% of the price end of undergraduate enrollment for each student without a scholarship. The rest has to be paid by the Administration.

Many of the autonomies began to lower the price of the fees just after the measure was approved, in the 2020/2021 academic year, without the need to rush until the last moment. And, to this day, all, except the Balearic Islands, the Basque Country and Madrid, have started with the cuts. Galicia and the Canary Islands have not had to do so, because their price was already at the level of 2011.

According to the ministry’s calculations, this measure will mean an extra cost for Madrid of four million euros per year.

Since the Ministry of Universities was created, those responsible for it have been very careful not to go to war with Madrid, despite the fact that Ayuso has not hesitated to show his differences in public. “The new university law attacks the foundations of university life: freedom, responsibility.